Next up on our Fall Bucket List Series, caramel apples. I love, love, love caramel apples. Though, they are sooooo difficult to eat, very messy and sticky! So, I decided to use apple slices. It’s much easier to eat, and you’re not committed to the full apple. I don’t know about you, but I never finish the whole thing!
This is another recipe that is super easy and will take about 30 minutes of your time. The longest and most tedious part is unwrapping and melting the caramels. Other than that it’s an super easy process. The fun thing about this recipe is that you can get a little creative as well! I decided to use a few different toppings and added some chocolate on top.
• Green Apples (I cut each side right before you hit the core)
• Caramels (melt on medium heat. add 2 teaspoons of water. Must constantly stir to avoid burning the caramel.)
• Lollipop Sticks (I found mine at Frys Marketplace. You can also find them at any craft store)
• Pretzels, Mini M&M’s and crushed Peanuts (these are the toppings I chose, though I am sure there are plenty of other ones you can get creative with!)
• Melted Chocolate (I put the melted chocolate in a plastic baggy, cut a tiny hole in the corner, and decorate the top)
Cut the apples. One slice on each slide close to the core. Take a paper towel and make sure to soak all of the extra juice out. Push the lollipop stick into the bottom of the apple.
Melt the caramels on med heat and constantly stir to make sure it does not burn. Once melted, dip the apple into the caramel and set on a baking sheet. The caramel will start to harden pretty quick, so, I made sure to put the toppings on after I dipped each apple.
Melt the chocolate. This must be melted on low heat and constantly stirred, or it will burn very easily. Once melted, spoon the chocolate into a sandwich baggy. Cut a tiny hole in the corner and decorate the toppings. Once done, you can either leave out or place in the fridge. It is recommended that these be eaten the same day you make them! They don’t hold up well for days.
I hope you have as much fun making these as I did! It was a huge hit in our house, all three of my dudes loved them!! Stay tuned for more of our Fall Bucket List Series!